Tonight, I finally got around to making it. Using this tutorial, I got to work. I decided that I wanted a different coloured panel through the middle and this will (maybe) have his name appliquéd onto it. I also decided that I wanted him to be able to wear the bag like a backpack, so added grosgrain ribbon tabs at the bottom to feed the drawstring through. I am rather proud of myself, as this is the first bag that I have taken on by myself without needing my mum to take over! I did run into some trouble with the 'tunnel' for the cord and ended up unpicking and restarting a few times, but all in all, it's not a bad try I think.
Hopefully I will get a photo of Aled wearing the bag, I am hoping it fits round his shoulders, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the finished article.