So, about a week later I get home from shopping to find a Royal Mail red card through my door to say that they have left a parcel with my neighbour. I pop over, a little confused as I knew I hadn't ordered anything and was very excited when I opened up the package to find Herman there in a jar. I immediately emptied him into a bowl, gave him a stir and covered him with a tea towel. The instructions then took pride of place on the fridge door.
Every day I attended to Hermie as I had now affectionately called him and on days 4 and 9 I had to feed him with a cup of sugar, flour and milk. On day 9 I was to separate him into four portions, give three away and number four is kept to bake the next day. I managed to find two willing people to take on the Hermie babies and kept the third to start the process over again.
On day 10 I added the last lot of ingredients ready to bake. I am not a fan of cooked apple, so instead I got a bag of 'luxury' mixed fruit and some glacier cherries. Using my 13x9" tin, I baked him up. When he came out of the oven, I left him to cool a little before turning him out onto a cooling rack. This was where I realised I had been a little foolish in not using baking parchment to line my tin! Yep, you guessed it, the cake got stuck to the tin. I managed to get the cake out in mostly one piece and when cool, I put it back in the tin to slice up (I was afraid if I tried to move it to a plate it would fall apart! lol).
I must say, I was impressed. Hermie does indeed taste scrumptious and I would recommend it to anyone! My second batch I baked in a round tin and this one also tastes good. This time I swapped the glacier cherries for walnuts, which does make it a little bit drier, but it is still nice. I had three volunteers for Hermie #2, so I now have to wait and hope that I get another batch passed onto me again. I would love to play around a bit with the fruits and spices in the cake.